Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Walk off Victories are AWESOME

My brother and I have been to a lot of good games at the old Yankee Stadium. Our most recent walk off victory before last night was on May 16th 2006 when the Yankees came back to beat Texas 14-13 after being down 9-0 in the 2nd inning.

Last night's game was a pitching duel. The Orioles struck first with one run in the first and the Yankees answered with one run of their own in the second. After that there were lots of ground ball outs, double plays galore and dazzling defensive plays on both ends. Andy Pettitte made me eat my words. Good on him.

By the 8th inning I was getting a bit worried that my Yankee jeans mojo was running out. It seemed like the Yankees were never going to be able to score another run and the Orioles kept getting close. I figured they were going to strike first especially since Hughes and Mo were not available out of the bullpen. My fear was they would score and I'd have to see Brian Bruney give up 4 more runs. Thankfully that didn't happen.

When the bottom of the 9th started I had this odd feeling of calm come over me. I was in a good mood all day and I felt like I was going to be rewarded for it. And I was right. Although truthfully my feeling was that A Rod was going to the hero. I don't think I've ever seen A Rod get a walk off hit. I've seen Tony Womack of all people get a walk off hit. Come on. Anyway, back to the game. Matsui was fighting off pitches and broke his bat. And just before that last pitch I did this thing with my thumbs. I had my hands clasped together but my thumbs were side by side. Right as he released the pitch I crossed my right thumb over my left thumb...and then BOOM! Game over.

The greatest thing about it was it finally made the obnoxiously loud Orioles fans sitting across the aisle from me shut up. Jerks.

We had a great view of the trajectory of the home run from our seats in Section 410.



So I left the Stadium a happy girl, my Yankee jeans win streak was still in tact, (4-0 so far) and my boys are now in a first place tie.

Hells yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment