Thursday, April 16, 2009

Home Opening Day 4-16-09

So Stacey thought she was being clever by getting to Yankee Stadium by 10:15a...apparently most of the other 48,000 people had the same idea. Oops. Thankfully it wasn't hard at all to get into the new place. And it seemed most of the people who were milling around outside were doing just that. As I waited in line I looked around in wonder at the building. It's really attractive to look at, much more so than the old place. The older gentleman who scanned my ticket smiled and said, "Welcome to Yankee Stadium. Enjoy the game." I smiled back and said, "I hope to." I stepped into the Great Hall and couldn't believe how open it was. This wasn't my father's ballpark. I had to duck and bob my way through the crowd to avoid blocking other people's pictures.

I walked around aimlessly for a few minutes and explored my new favorite place. I ventured up to the grandstand level i.e. my regular spot and I walked all the way over to my seats. Not a bad view for all the way out in right field. It will take a little getting used to, my seats in the old place were right above first base. After I looked around I took the elevator (yes you read that correctly) to the field level and headed towards my seats. The girl looked at my ticket and said, "You're supposed to have a wristband. You need to go to guest services." Um okay. A wristband? "It gives you all access." All Access? What? I was confused and walked around trying to find guest services. When I finally did, a nice gentleman walked me to the entrance to the Legends Club. Apparently because I spent more than half a month of rent on a ticket I had rich people privileges. I will tell you what that means in a second.

So I am standing, waiting for my wristband, looking around and still mightily confused because at this point I still didn't know what this ticket entailed. I walk in and I am greeted by a friendly girl who explains everything to me. I can eat whatever I want in the Legends Club and out by my seats and I don't have to pay for it. People will take my order from my seat and bring me whatever I want...um yes please! I am praying to God that I win megamillions so I can just go to Yankee games the rest of the season and sit in the cushy seats.

I walked into the food area where they had stations set up. You name it, it was there. Lobster, shrimp, lamb, steak, breakfast food, dessert, salads, soups...I ended up having steak with horseradish sauce. It was fantastic.

I sat at a table alone and a nice waiter named Roy got a Pepsi for me. A few minutes later an older gentleman asked if he could sit with me. I didn't object. He also didn't know about this whole food thing. He bought his $200 seat off the street right before he walked into the Stadium. He ended up getting shrimp and lamb. We talked for a little while and he just couldn't believe how beautiful everything was. He called his wife to tell her what happened and then called his son to rub it in. Heh. We went our separate ways and I decided to make my way to my seat.

I sat just beyond 3rd base in the 4th row. Every seat had its own cup holder and every seat was cushioned and the leg room was fantastic. It was a beautiful, sunny day.

Unfortunately the Yankees ended up getting their asses kicked in BUT I still had a great time.

I honestly didn't pay that much attention to the game. I was too busy taking pictures and looking around and soaking everything in.

The Stadium is gorgeous. Truly amazing.

And I admit I was one of those people who was against it being built in the beginning. I had so many great memories in the old place. But I have to admit I was wrong. It may have moved across the street but it's still Yankee Stadium and it certainly felt like we were right at home there.





No comments:

Post a Comment