Sunday, June 21, 2009

Neda

I’m having a hard time trying to come up with the words that fully express what I am feeling from having watched that young Iranian woman die on video. A coward who was shooting at people from a rooftop gunned down Neda, an innocent bystander who was doing nothing more than watching the protests. The saddest thing to me was the look in her eyes as the blood started pouring out of her wound and then out of her mouth and nose. It was surreal that we watched life actually pour out of her and yet I cannot stop watching it. I’ve watched it nearly 10 times. I feel like I need to watch it to truly understand what is happening over in Iran. The people of the United States take it for granted that we are free to vote, free to express ourselves through protests, free to be ourselves no matter how we choose to live our lives. We get to live without fear (mostly). Neda didn’t.

Everyone must watch this video, no matter how squeamish you are. People need to understand what the people of Iran are going through. They’re not evil. The people running the country clearly are. The citizens are victims of this evil and they are trying to change their way of life. I, for one, support them. As human beings we all should. We’re all one no matter what country we come from, what God we pray to, what gender we are…I urge you to support your Iranian brothers and sisters as they fight for their freedom like our forefathers did for us over 200 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment